Study Abroad

November 13, 2013 in Uncategorized

Hello Parents,

I hope you’re all having a wonderful week! Time here seems to be speeding up a bit now that we’re getting into the meat of the semester, and the cool, brisk

Me on my study abroad to Lüneburg, Germany in 2012

Me on my study abroad to Lüneburg, Germany, in 2012

November air is reminding us that winter is not very far away. The snow is starting to come and the days are especially short, and there’s a cozy feeling in the Copper Country as the leaves continue to fall.

As students are starting to think ahead to next year, it’s also time to start thinking about studying abroad. Studying abroad is a fantastic opportunity for students to broaden their horizons, expose themselves to new things, and challenge themselves in unfamiliar ways while continuing to obtain a quality education. Students can unveil new and exciting cultures and explore the exotic world around them while pursuing top-notch academics. Studying abroad is a great opportunity for students to build skills in flexibility, accountability, and responsibility for their careers in the future. And the best thing about it is that studying abroad at Michigan Tech is extremely affordable! There are many programs in which students can pay tuition directly to Michigan Tech, so whatever they pay here, they pay there. In addition to this, there are a multitude of scholarships that students can apply for to help cover the costs.

If your student is considering studying abroad in the future, he or she should visit the International Programs and Services (IPS) office, located on the second floor of the Administration Building. In addition to assisting international students, IPS specializes in helping students find and choose the right program and country in which to study abroad. Michigan Tech offers programs in more than 30 countries, including China, Germany, Costa Rica, France, Brazil, India, and Japan. They can also assist in corresponding with your student’s academic advisor to make sure the classes they are taking during their study-abroad experience will work towards their degree. Financial Aid is also a tremendous resource to utilize when your student is planning his or her time abroad. While IPS can direct your student to study-abroad-specific scholarships such as the Gilman Scholarship, FEA, and country-specific aid, Financial Aid staff can help in finding domestic scholarships as well as scholarships unique to Michigan Tech to help finance your student’s time abroad.

Studying abroad is an invaluable and once-in-a-lifetime experience that is unique to everyone. I myself have studied abroad, and can say with absolute certainty that it was an experience I will never forget! Here, four other Michigan Tech students share their thoughts about studying abroad:

“Since arriving in Santiago, I have learned so much about myself as a person and a student. I have become a more confident and understanding person. I am studying with others in mostly non-technical fields, which has allowed me to gain a better perspective about how to work with those who have different mindsets.” —Hannah Altscheffel, third-year geological engineering student, currently studying abroad in Santiago, Chile

“During my summer research internship in Munich, Germany, I was able to take extended weekend trips to see much of Germany as well as many neighboring countries. I met so many people from diverse backgrounds and recognized that even though we were so different, there was so much we had in common. It was humbling to find myself in an environment where I couldn’t take my ability to communicate for granted, yet also confidence building. It was an incredible experience that I will not soon forget.” —Michael Adler, fourth-year physics and mathematics double major, studied abroad in Munich, Germany

“Studying abroad was probably the best decision I made during my college career. The only regret I have is that I didn’t do it sooner… I would have gone a second time. It opened my eyes to a whole new culture and way of living. I grew so much as a person; living on your own in a different country really gives you time to discover new things about yourself. I made lifelong friends and memories. It is my hope that everyone gets the opportunity to have an experience like this as well!” —Allison Strome, fourth-year business management student, studied abroad in Costa Rica

“I studied abroad during the fall semester of my third year at the University of Kingston in London, UK, and it was one of the best experiences of my life! As a student working to put myself through college, I could never afford to travel the world on a whim. However, Michigan Tech’s study-abroad program enabled me to further my civil engineering education while developing my education about other cultures. I greatly appreciated having the opportunity to do so without prolonging graduation.” —Kodi Padilla, fifth-year civil engineering student, studied abroad in London, UK

For more information on studying abroad, please visit International Programs and Services. You can check out IPS’s blog, A Student Abroad, which follows students’ international travel/study experiences.

That’s all for this week! If you have any questions about studying abroad or ParentNet Weekly, please email me at vjtaglio@mtu.edu. Have a great week!

-Valerie

1 response to Study Abroad

1. As the mom of a former Study Abroad student, I can’t believe how incredibly independent my daugher became while there. I can’t encourage parents enough to support their student in the decision to study abroad – the cost is very similar to a regular semester at MTU and it will change their child in a positive way!