Campus Employment Opportunities

December 4, 2012 in Community, Housing, Work

The end of the semester is almost here, and it is the time of final exams, wrapping up classes, and looking forward to a long winter break. It’s also time to start thinking about on-campus employment for this summer and next year! Student Life is beginning the hiring process for a wide variety of fun and rewarding positions. Not only do students gain the experience of having a part-time job, but they also gain communication, leadership, and teamwork skills – all while getting paid. The first information sessions are on December 11, 2012 and December 12, 2012, from 8:00 PM to 9:00 PM in room 135 in Fisher Hall.

Myself with the other OES members!

I have held three different positions within Student Life during my time at Michigan Tech and I can honestly say that they were the best jobs I’ve had! During my second year at Michigan Tech, I worked as a residence hall reception desk staff member. This meant that I sorted student mail, rented out game room equipment, and answered any student or guest questions that came my way. The next summer I worked as an Orientation Team Leader (OTL), which was an amazing experience. I, along with about 60 other student leaders, guided first-year students through the orientation process and introduced them to Michigan Tech. Finally, this past year I worked as a member of the Orientation Executive Staff, which was the most challenging (and most rewarding) position that I’ve held. I was responsible for assisting in the of the weeklong orientation program, as well as overseeing the staff of 65 excited OTLs. These experiences helped me come out of my shell and have given me the confidence to do things that I never thought I could. Had someone told me I would be managing a staff of 65 peers and delivering a speech to the entire first-year class, their families, and University administration when I first arrived on campus, I’d have laughed and possibly even fainted at the prospect. However, when the time came to do these things I took the challenges in stride and enjoyed every minute of the experience. All of this aside, the most rewarding thing about my positions with Student Life is the relationships that I’ve built. I’ve worked with some of the most motivated and inspiring students and staff, and they’ve taught and supported me throughout my Michigan Tech career. I know all of my co-workers have had similar experiences with their positions, and I would encourage anyone who is looking to learn and grow to apply for a position.

The Student Life Staff

Applying for Student Life doesn’t mean you need to be out on the front lines, being crazy and excited. There are positions for every type of personality and there is plenty of room to grow. Here are some of the positions that will be available:

• Resident Assistant
  • Orientation Team Leader
  • Reception Desk Staff
  • Commuter Assistant
  • Program Assistant
  • Operations Assistant
  • Transfer Assistant

For more information, check out the full list of positions and read a bit more about Student Life employment. In order to apply for one of these great positions, students must attend an information session and then complete the online application. Once the application is received, students will go through an interview and group process. After all of these steps have been completed, students will be notified whether or not they have been selected for a position. I hope that you’ll encourage your student to check out an information session and to consider applying. My Student Life employment played a defining role in my college experience and it’s great to know that a whole new group of students will soon have some of these same opportunities!

Until next week,
Travis