Halloween Recap and Leadershape

November 1, 2012 in Academics, Community, Events

Halloween Recap

The past week was full of great Halloween events, which, as always, were a great success! Activities like pumpkin-carving, a costume dance, and Safehouse allowed students to bring campus to life in the spirit of the season. One event that I didn’t mention in last week’s post was the Halloween Global Social. The event took place on October 31, from 6:00 to 11:00 p.m. in the ROTC Gym. This Halloween party was designed especially for commuter students, transfer students, and international students to celebrate Halloween, but was open to all students. Admission to the event was free and there was a costume contest, a DJ, international dance lessons, as well as food and refreshments!

The Leadershape Institute

Michigan Tech offers many great leadership opportunities for students. One of the most well-known is the Leadershape Institute, which will take place January 7th – 12th at the Ford Center in Alberta, MI. This week-long institute places students into “family clusters,” which include other students and a facilitator. The facilitators are generally Michigan Tech faculty and staff and are there to create an inclusive and welcoming environment in the cluster meetings. They also serve as mentors to the students and support them through the successes and challenges of the week. The students work with their clusters to develop leadership abilities and learn about the vision process.

The goal of the Institute is to encourage students to realize their own leadership potential and to provide an environment for students to openly collaborate in developing a vision or goal, which they will make a plan to achieve and hopefully work toward once the institute is over. Another element of the institute is the lead facilitator (usually 2) that heads the week’s programming. These include motivational speakers, people who work in higher education, and others who value student leadership. Also, there are two On-site Coordinators who work behind-the-scenes to ensure that everything goes smoothly. These positions are filled by students who have graduated from the Leadershape Institute and know about all of the great benefits it has to offer.

I attended the Leadershape Institute three years ago, and I still remember all of the great conversations and events that I got a chance to participate in while I was there. Not to mention all of the lasting friendships I made! I’m also proud to say that I am one of the On-site Coordinators for Leadershape 2013. We’ve already started the planning process, as applications are due November 2nd. I know that I grew from attending Leadershape and I gained skills that I’ve carried with me throughout my multiple positions across campus. A registration fee of $100 covers food, transportation, lodging, and programming for the entire week, and many students can get all, or at least part of the fee covered by their departments, campus employers, and even student organizations. However, in my experience, $100 is more than worth it for the unique and memorable experiences that Leadershape provides.

I hope that you’ll encourage your student to apply for this awesome opportunity! Again, the applications are due November 2nd and the participants will be notified of their acceptance by November 16th. To learn more about the national Leadershape program, you can visit http://www.leadershape.org/.

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns please feel free to send me an email or to post a comment.

Until next week,
Travis