by

Let Winter Carnival Begin!

January 28, 2010 in Community, Events, Recreation, Sports

One of last year's Month Long Statues under construction.

After an unseasonably warm past couple weeks you may not believe it but Winter Carnival 2010 is just around the corner. Students are hoping that with the dropping temperatures and snow that this week is expected to bring, they will be able to get back to working on their snow statues and playing broomball. The official dates of Winter Carnival 2010 are February 3-6 and this year’s theme is “Games We Know Captured in Snow”. I’m sure most of you have heard or maybe even seen some of the great Winter Carnival activities, however, for those of you who may not know, Winter Carnival is more than just amazing, skillfully constructed snow statues, it is really a week of great fun!

Winter Carnival Queen 2009-Melissa Meyer

This year’s Winter Carnival activities will begin this Saturday, January 30 with the Queen’s Coronation in the Rozsa Center from 7:30 p.m.-12 a.m. During this time the eight Queen Candidates will perform a talent and take part in an onstage interview. Winter Carnival Queen 2010 will be chosen based on the interviews, talent performance, and a student vote. Student’s may vote for the candidate of their choice this Wednesday and Thursday from 10 a.m.-2 p.m. in the Memorial Union Building or Fisher Hall. The candidate crowned Winter Carnival Queen 2010 will have various responsibilities throughout Winter Carnival, including judging statues, attending events, and what would be my favorite part, riding the Zamboni at the hockey game against Minnesota Duluth. For more information about this year’s candidates check out the Queen’s page of the Winter Carnival website.

Students playing snowvolleyball last year.

In addition, this weekend, to kick off the approaching Winter Carnival activities there will be two hockey games in which the Huskies will face off against Minnesota State. Friday nights game will begin at 7:07 p.m. and Saturday nights game will begin at 5:07 p.m. If your student is not too busy working on a snow statue or attending the Queen’s Coronation I recommend that they get their tickets to the game and go out and cheer on our Huskies!

Lastly, throughout this week there will be a variety of Winter Carnival Special Events that students can take part in. This week’s Special Events include the following:

Snow Volley Ice Fishing Cross Country Skiing

Ice Bowling Curling Skating

These special events are a lot of fun to participate in or to watch so I would encourage your student to go and see what Michigan Tech Winter Carnival is all about. For a complete listing of this week’s special events check out the Winter Carnival Schedule.

If you have any questions, comments, or suggestions please feel free to email me. Check back for next week’s article, I will be writing about how this week’s Winter Carnival Activities went and what events are coming up with the Winter Carnival All-Nighter!

3 responses to Let Winter Carnival Begin!

1. The activities specific to Winter Carnival can be found by going to the link in the above paragraph entitled Winter Carnival Schedule. I will be writing more about the other events taking place during Carnivla later this week. On January 6th there will be a comedian in the Rozsa and hockey games on Friday and Saturday night this week. Check back in a couple days for this week’s article for more information.

2. I REALLY miss all the emails i used to get last year. Logging on to a site just does not work for me! I am also looking for the schedule of parent/student activities for this weekend and cannot find them. Last year we took dancing lessons on Sat and went to a Latin Ball, is that not happening this year? We are looking forward to coming.

• I miss the emails too. I haven’t kept up this year at all with our new system. I can’t even get into the new parent site. I’ve tried over and over again. I don’t know what I am doing wrong…
      If it is my computer, I don’t know how to fix or adjust it either.